Friday, July 29, 2011

Book Review Pt 2: 1001 Fly Fishing Tips

How do you keep your dry flies dry longer?  Do I really need a hook hone?  What's the best way to get your fly unsnagged?  Keeping your equipment safe and functioning properly is vital to catching fish.  No matter how long we've been fishing there is always advice or a tip someone may have that will make our day on the water less frustrating.

This week is part two of the tips and advice from 1001 Fly Fishing Tips, edited by Jay Nichols.  There are enough pieces of great advice that I felt like I needed more than one post to do the book justice.  Part Three of the book has to do with Hatches and Seasons.  We'll talk about that next week.

So here are the tips on equipment with some comments...

FLIES AND HOOKS

Scotch Guard
Several light applications of Scotchguard (the one with the green cap for outdoor fabrics) waterproofs your flies.  Spray flies in batches and allow to dry overnight.
The only surface flies that I've fished have been rubber imitations of grasshoppers and cicadas, so I haven't had to deal with dry flies getting waterlogged.  I do remember using Scotchguard on my jeans in high school before going skiing.  And with how well it worked on my jeans considering how much time I spent on my butt, I'm pretty sure it would keep your fly dry.  My only concern would be whether the fish would smell chemicals on the fly and shy away.

Velcro Effect
One reason shaggy flies like Hare’s Ears work so well is that they catch on a fish’s teeth, preventing them from spitting out the fly quickly.
Makes sense to me.  But you still have to get the fish to go for the fly.

Sharpening Stone
Smooth streamside rocks make adequate hook hones in a pinch.  Pull the hook point against the flat face of the rock, rotate and repeat.
I never would have thought about sharpening the hook on a fly.  The first time I heard of a hook hone was on an Orvis Podcast.  Honestly I haven't spent enough time fishing for the flies that I have to get dull.  And I usually lose them before they ever get close to being dull.

Tie or Buy in Bulk
Tie or buy flies by the half-dozen (many recommend by the dozen).  Don’t stock your boxes with singles.  Not only is this a recipe for a disorderly box, you’ll want more than one of a fly that works.
When you're fishing on a budget this is a Catch-22 situation.  Do you buy large batches of one fly to make sure that you have plenty of a fly that is catching fish?  Or do you buy a bunch of different flies so you have a variety of flies to try if what you're using isn't getting any strikes?  In the past I've bought singles of multiple types of fish.  But having felt the frustration of losing the fly that was catching fish and not having another, I'm going to start buying in batches.

SNAGS
Any fly fisher that tells you that they don't get their flies snagged is a liar.  Of course we are talking about fisherman so that's probably a given anyway.  That said I'll let this section speak for itself.

Snags on the Bottom
From your position, strip out a generous amount of line and let it float downstream of the snag.  Sometimes line tension on the water pulls the snag free.

Move downstream or upstream of the snag and pull gently.  Sometimes a different angle helps.

Wade out to the snag and try to free the fly with your feet.

Snags on Logs or Rocks
Roll cast your line to free a snag.  Move so that you can roll cast from different angles.  If this fails wade out and get it.

Snags in Trees
Slowly creep the fly out of the bushes or leaves.  Many times it will come free.

If it is stuck, try having a partner pull the limb down to free the snag.  Or use a long tick to pull the limb down.

If you snag your fly on a limb, take all your line and tippet into your rod and gently unsnag it with your rod tip.  Be careful not to force the rod tip.

Last resort:  Point the rod tip at the snag and pull on the fly line until the fly breaks off.  When you pull, make sure your fly rod tip is absolute straight.

LEADERS, TIPPETS AND KNOTS

Don’t Bite Tippets

Not only does biting tippets wear grooves in your teeth, but you can get Giardia and other nasties from a little contact with contaminated water.
I've never been able to bite through my tippet.  I chipped my front teeth in high school and the seals I have just won't let me.  My brother-in-law always bites through his tippet.  It may save him a few seconds, but I'd still rather use my clippers.

In The Loop
Rig your entire system—backing to fly line, fly line to leader butt, and leader to tippet—with loops for quick changing.
You'll save a lot of time and leader doing this.  When your leader gets to the point of being big enough for the fish to see, tie a loop on the end.  Then you can tie loops on the end of your tippets and you won't be cutting off leader every time you need to add or change your tippet.

Knot Sense
Learn all your knots at home, not on the water, and learn to tie a few knows well rather than a lot of knots poorly.
I cannot recommend this strongly enough.  I nearly had an excursion ruined because I couldn't remember how to tie a Perfection Loop.  After that I bought spool of inexpensive line to practice tying knots.  I know I'll now never forget the Perfection Loop or the Clinch Knot.   I hope the add one or two more soon.

Lube Tube
Carry lip balm with you to lube knots.  You can put it on your lips and then lube the knots with your lips.  That way you won’t sunburn your lips and your knots will close easily and smoothly.  This works especially well for tying knot in heavier tippet, which are difficult to seat properly.
This sounds like a good idea to me, but would there be anything in the lip balm that could ward off the fish?  And could the lube add some floatation and affect the action of the fly, espicially if you're nymphing?

Getting Action
The knot you use to attach tippet to fly can affect the fly’s action: Use a loop knot to increase the movement in a fly—even on surface patterns, such as poppers.
This is something that has interested me lately.  I'm thinking of trying a Uni Knot the next time I go fishing.  Not only is it a loop that will give more action the fly, it also slips closed when the fish strikes.

FLY LINES AND BACKING

Wash Your Hands
Wash your hands carefully after fueling up, or applying bug repellant or suntan lotion.  Some suntan lotions, insect repellants, fly floatants and fuel damage the coating (of your fly line).
This never occurred to me until I read it.  But with most fly lines being self-lubricated, it makes sense that some other chemical coming into contact with it could damage that coating.

Recycle Lines Beyond Repair
Old floating fly lines make great strike indicators; lanyards for sunglasses, yard tools or spare keys; or practice “rope” for knot tying sessions.  Reuse the running line of your floating lines for shooting heads.  Make custom sink tips with your old sinking lines.
I haven't been fly fishing long enough to wear out my fly line.  By the time my fly line gets too old maybe I'll try to braid a bracelet for my daughter.

RODS, REELS AND OTHER EQUIPMENT

Breaking and Entering
More fly rods are broken by screen door and car windows than from fighting fish.  Don’t take assembled rods indoors and don’t stick them out of your car window if you have power windows.  Even if you think you’re smarter than the next guy.
And according to the salesman who sold my dad his rod you can add ceiling fans to this list.  As expensive as rods can be I don't think I would risk anything that could break the tip off of mine.  I'll take the time to break it down whenever it goes in the car.

Traveling with Rods
Windshield wipers can hold your rod on your windshield while you travel short distances.  Place the rod tip back over your car and don’t use your wipers.
I saw this for the first time at Bennett Springs in June.  It looked like it worked OK, but I think I would only trust it as far as I could walk.  So, I'd probably end up walking anyway...

Ziploc Bags
Carry a gallon sized Ziploc freezer bag for cameras, wallet, cell phone, and other items that can’t get wet in your vest or pack—you never know when you might need temporary waterproofing.
You may laugh at this idea, but on one fishing trip I drove my brother on a three hour round trip excursion to replace his cell phone when he waded a little too deep.  It was the weekend that the Palm Pre was coming out.  I still wonder if he did it on purpose...


There are tons of good tips out there.  I would venture that even a novice like me would have some small bit of advice that could help someone out of a bind.  Last month I showed my brother-in-law the trick of tying a perfection loop on the end of his leader.  It felt good to have something to share with one of the guys who is teaching me.  If you have a good equipment tip leave it in a comment and I'll share on Twitter.

Book Review: Part One 
Book Review: Part Three

No comments:

Post a Comment