Sunday, July 28, 2013

When Wading Boots Become Necessary

Last weekend the lack of foot wear that you could walk into the water with cost me landing a couple of nice trout.  In one case my dad couldn't get close enough to the fish to get it in the net before he got free.  In the other I couldn't find a spot to get close enough to the water to get the fish in the net.  As I was packing up all my gear I had decided it was time for me to get some wading boots.

It wouldn't have been possible for me to give you a personal review of every available boot on the market.  And even if it had been possible, I'm hardly expert enough for my opinion to be of much weight.  I think the best way for you to get reviews of specific boots will be to visit the reviews of as many online realtors as you have time for.  But here is what some online research found.

If you're looking for wading boots you have a lot more options that when we grabbed an old pair of tennis shoes as kids.  I found $20 synthetic leather boots from RedHead and $200 Korkers with quick-change soles.  Regardless of your price range, the first choice you have to make is whether to get felt or rubber soles.  Felt soles are by far the best choice to avoid slipping on rocks.  But with rock snot creeping in everywhere, even if your state hasn't banned felt soles, more and more fishing areas are forbidding felt soles.  I've only worn wading boots on one fishing trip and they had felt soles.  Given the choice, and the funds, I would buy a pair of felt soles as well as a pair of rubber soles.  Anywhere that felt soles are allowed I would wear them and then wear the rubber soles anywhere else.  But not having the choice, or the funds, rubber soles it is.

The next choice is that of laces.  The latest type of lacing available is the BOA lacing system.  Your "laces" are actually steel wire wrapped through the eyelets and into a twist knob.  Put the boots on and twist the knob until the boots are tight.  Pull the knob out and the laces loosen.  From the reading I did this week, people love using them but are concerned about them breaking when they're miles from their vehicle.  From what I've seen of pricing, you can expect to pay at least $20 more for BOA lacing on equivalent boots.  For me, I'll stick with normal laces.

Price is always an issue.  I wanted a little more quality than $20 RedHead boots.  But I didn't want to spend $200 on boots that I would only be using occasionally.  I found a pretty good compromise.  I don't know how long the sale will last but Cabela's has their Guidewear wading boots on sale for $89.99 from $139.99.   They should be on their way to me now.  I hope to take them out for a spin in a few weeks.  I'll let you know how they work out.

Next on my list of equipment is a new set of waders.  I currently have a set of neoprene bootfoot waders that were given to me when my brother-in-law got a new set for himself.  Now that I have wading boots I need to get some stockingfoot waders to use them with.  If you have any suggestions let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment