Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Review Pt 1: 1001 Fly Fishing Tips

When I received my fly fishing rod & reel for my birthday last year I also received the book "1001 Fly Fishing Tips: Expert Advice, Hints and Shortcuts From the World's Leading Fly Fishers."  I had a month before my first fly fishing trip.  So I started reading.  Great book!  I think I read it three times in that month.  The book is a collection of short tips on a large variety of fly fishing topics from casting to finding fish to picking the right lure to how to care for your equipment.  It's edited by Jay Nichols with wisdom from Lefty Kreh, Dan Blanton, Bob Popovics and more.
There are enough nuggets of wisdom in this book that I'm going to break this into two posts.  Next week I'll post the tips on equipment and more.  For now, here are some of the fishing tips with some comments from the novice...
CASTING

Stiff Wrist
Any movement with your hand is magnified at the rod tip, so a short movement with your wrist can move your rod tip too much and open your loop.  At the first sign of wide loops, focus on keeping a stiff wrist and using only your forearm.
I saw this first hand on my recent trip to Bennett Springs.  I was doing more casting there than I had done on any previous trip, and more mending.  It was in my mending that I noticed the impact of every flick of the wrist.  It seemed like on every mend I flicked just a little too much.  And unfortunately I don't know how to practice mending on grass.

Hula Loop
Mount a hula hoop on a post (or have a friend hold it) and practice casting through it.  Begin at 30 feet and move out to 60 feet as you are consistently able to cast a loop through the hoop (not just the fly).  Hint: it's easier to cast through the loop with a sidearm cast than it is with an overhead one.
I haven't tried this, but it sounds fun and difficult.  But with my casting I don't think I'll find anyone to hold the hula hoop for me.

WADING

Third Leg
Your wading staff should act as a third leg.  Plant one foot and the wading staff firmly before advancing the other foot.  Make sure both feet are stable.
Very important!  You never know when there will be an unexpected deep pool or a slick rock.  You may feel foolish taking your time with a wading staff, but it's better than floating downstream with your waders full of water.

Team Up
In big water have a buddy.  Have the strongest wader take the upstream side.  Tuck your rod into your waders or vest.  Lock arms, or, better yet, grab the collar of one another's vests with your inside hands and plant your staves with your outside hands.  Talk to one another as you progress across the water.
I'd recommend this in big water and even in shallow fast water.  I've come near falling down quite a few times in water less than a foot deep.  If you have to cross fast or deep water, take someone with you.

FINDING AND SPOTTING FISH

Focus on the Foam
Foam lines moving downstream signal current lanes that carry food to fish and are always a good place to start fishing.
Foam on the water tells you where the currents are coming together.  Anything in the water will flow with those currents.  Fish know this is where easy food will be and will migrate there.

Be First to the Fish
This doesn't mean that you should rush to a particularly good pool before your buddy gets his rod rigged up, but if you are fishing behind another angler, especially a careless one, you may never see a fish-they will have all spooked.
I'm usually the careless angler spooking the fish, but I have been behind other careless anglers as well.  And not only is rushing rude to your fishing buddy, but you'll probably end up spooking the fish yourself.

Scout It Out
Low water may not be the best time for catching, but it's the perfect time to look for hidden holes, lies, and bars in the middle of the river.  In the summer, wet wad to find cooler water where springs might come in-fish migrate there in summer and winter.
It's never a bad idea to know where the "secret" fishing hole is located.  When ever you can, take to the time find one.

PRESENTATIONS

Use the Shade
Approach from the shaded side of a bank to reduce the contrast between yourself and the bank, lessening the chances of spooking a fish.
I've spooked too many fish to count by not realizing I was highlighting myself in the sun.  Plan your approach to avoid casting your shadow on the water.

Hang Out
At the end of a drift with a nymph, wet fly, or streamer, let the fly hang in the current for 20 to 30 seconds before picking up and casting again.  Many fish strike when the fly is dangling directly downstream.
This is how I was nymphing in Bennett Springs.  Let the fly hit the end of your line and wait. You'll likely get a strike.

CATCHING AND RELEASING

Nymph on Edge
The best nymph anglers are twitchy and set the hook at every strange movement of the indicator.  Don't wait for the indicator to plunge underwater before you set.
I like the word "twitchy."  Especially as a novice it's hard to tell if your strike indicator is bobbing on the water or being pulled under by a fish.  Be a little twitchy and you'll start to learn the difference.

Hold Your Breath
Don't hold fish out of the water longer than you can hold your breath.
This is a good way to know how long to keep a fish out of water.  I know I've been guilty of keeping a fish out of water too long.  From now on I'll try to use this as a guide.

I don't think you can ever know too many tips and tricks when heading out fishing.  Even the oldest of fisherman would gladly learn something new that would help them catch more fish.  So what are some of your favorite tips that you want to pass along?
 
Book Review: Part Two 
Book Review: Part Three 

1 comment: