Friday, July 15, 2011

Rod, Reel & The Kitchen Sink

So you've decided to start fly fishing.  All you need are some flies and a rod and reel, right?  Then you start looking at fly fishing gear.  Yes, you need a rod and reel.  But you also need to get the right fly line, leader and tippet material.  And you'll need a some strike indicators so that you can tell when the fish are taking your fly.  And if you'll be nymphing it might be a good idea to have some weight so the fly gets down in the water more quickly.  You must have a a line/leader straightener.  A tippet holder is essential.  And a Ty-Rite Jr or Clinch Tool Knot Tyer will make knots simple and easy.  And you have to have thermometer otherwise how will you know how cold the water is?  And how will you know how many fish you've caught if you don't have a fish counter?  And the list goes on and on and on...

There is a lot of "stuff" out there for fisherman.  A lot of gear and gadgets that make themselves out to be invaluable to fly fishing.  But what exactly do you need?  Besides your rod, reel and line what do you really need in order to go fly fishing?  So from someone who just started fishing, and is definitely fishing on a budget, here is my list of the basic equipment that will get you fly fishing without having to buy the kitchen sink.

Flies
Obviously you're going to need a fly to fly fish. This is more about having multiple flies.  If you're a beginner you're going to lose flies.  It could be that you didn't tie your knot correctly and your fly disappeared on your back cast.  Or you forgot about the fly-eating tree behind you on your back cast.  Or what you have on your line is not working.  You are going to need more than one fly.


Fly Box
A pocket is not going to be the best place to put your flies.  Let's say you don't stick yourself trying to grab a fly.  How likely is it that your fly is going to hook the inside of your pocket?  And how do you know which fly you're grabbing?  You have to have something that will hold your flies and allow you select the fly that you want without scattering them on the ground.  It doesn't matter if you buy a fancy fly box with a threader insert or grab an old Altoids tin.  Just have something.


Clippers
Whether you bring along an old set of fingernail clippers or the Anglers Image Ultimate tool, you'll need something to clip the tag ends of your knots other than your teeth.  Yes, your tippet line is thin enough to bite through.  And I'm sure your dentist could file your teeth sharper if you asked him.  But why go through all that hassle?  Raid your medicine cabinet for the fingernail clippers.


Clamps/Forceps/Pliers
Whatever you want to call them, the first time your favorite fly is three inches down the throat of a fish you'll be glad to have them.  Even if your fly is simply hooked in the fishes jaw it is still remarkably easier to grab it with a pair of clamps.  The clamps grab the fly tighter than your fingers are able to grab.  And it's a lot easier to avoid hooking yourself when your hand is six inches from the barb of the hook.


Polarized Sunglasses
With polarized sunglasses you be able to see through the glare of the sun on the water.  If you're high sticking you be able to watch the fish take the fly in its mouth.  If you're nymphing or using a dry fly you'll be able to watch your fly or indicator without squinting.  Do not go fishing without polarized sunglasses!


Extra Tippet
At some point you're going to need more tippet.  You might need to go to a smaller size that the fish can't see.   Or you might want to add a dropper off your dry fly.  Or maybe your dream trout snapped your tippet rather than relenting to a photograph.  You're going to need more tippet.


Strike Indicator/Floatant
Actually you might be able to do without these.  But they are extremely helpful.  You may not necessarily be nyphming, but if you are it's hard to do without a strike indicator, whether that's a foam grasshopper, a thingamabobber, yarn or foam.  And if it seems like every time your dry fly hits the water a fish hit it, you don't want to have to stop using it because it becomes waterlogged.  So while these might not be necessary for fishing, they may be necessary to keep fishing.


So there's my list.  Other items could be waders, sunscreen or a hat, but I don't think they're absolutely essential.  If you think I missed something leave a comment or shoot me an email.  If someone lets me know something important I missed I'll do a follow-up post mid-week.

4 comments:

  1. I'd say, as far as actual fishing gear is concerned, you've got it pretty well covered. I actually do the teeth thing, and carry a box that is similar to an altoids tin. No strike indicators but definitely floatant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amount of equipment is perhaps a refection of the increase in technology available.I have been at it for over 40 years and the equipment I have now must surely be a 5 fold increase from when I first started.Considering the fact that my flyfishing is always from a drifting boat I have found a waterproof box that holds all my gear.Which is 6 lines with spools,3 fly boxes (large) and the rest as you mentioned here floatant,sinkant, mucilin,various 50yd spools.
    A veritable tackle shop and can I reduce the load.Tried several times with no success.
    Ah! what the hell I still love lugging it around.Now where did I put that second heart attack?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mark. I'm sure my dentist is thankful that I can't actually use my front teeth for cutting my line. I chipped my front teeth in high school and the sealant is too smooth to cut my line. And I'm definitely the opposite as far as the indicator and floatant. I do more nymphing than dry fly fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loughcorrib - knowing how much of the "stuff" I've gathered in less than a year of fly fishing I can only imagine how much you have after 40 years! Just say that lugging it all around is one of your forms of exercise...

    ReplyDelete