Friday, May 27, 2011

Waders Aren't Complicated?

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about my waders springing a leak in the most unsightly of places.  They've lasted for several years and they were given to me by someone who had already used them for a while, so I decided it might be time to start looking for new waders.  It couldn't be too complicated to decide what I was going to get, right?  Waders are just something to keep you dry, right?  Well, do you want neoprene waders or breathable?  Do you want boot foot or stocking foot?  Do you want rubber soles or felt soles?  Or both?  Do you want studs?

This just got a little more complicated...

Here's a quick run-down of what I've discovered of the options.

Neoprene vs. Breathable
The waders that I’m using are neoprene. And they have worked well. I’m usually fishing in cold water and the neoprene helps to keep me warm. I’ve never worn breathable waders so I don’t have any experience with them. But I’m leaning towards getting breathable waders. From what I’ve been told they are much more comfortable to wear and they dry more quickly. They aren’t as warm as the neoprene, but if you wear some long underwear underneath them that won’t be an issue.


Stocking Foot vs. Boot
The first impression I had on this point was my brother complaining about having to deal with his wading boots as well as his stocking foot waders. This impressed upon me the benefit of having boot foot waders. Everything you need in one package. But it’s not as simple as that. When I was in Gatlinburg in August I had my waders with me, but decided that the neoprene was going to be extremely uncomfortable to deal with in 90 degree weather. Even if I was wading into cold water I was going to get really hot. So I rented a pair of wading boots and went without waders. And that’s when I realized the benefit to having stocking foot waders and wading boots. You have the flexibility of not having to wear your waders. If you don’t want to get wet ever, you will always use waders. But for me it was more comfortable to fish without waders on that day. And I have been fishing without waders since then. But if do have to get into cold water, or get into deep water, I will be wearing my waders.


Felt Sole vs. Rubber Sole
My waders have rubber soles. The traction is pretty good. Usually if I slip a little the boots grab enough for me to catch my balance and keep from falling. The boots I rented in Gatlinburg had felt soles. And it seemed like no matter what I stepped on they didn’t slip in the slightest. I loved them! I came back from Gatlinburg with the intention of my next set of waders having felt soles. But after a trip to a store that might change. The salesperson I spoke with told me that currently in Missouri there is a movement to outlaw felt soled boots due to the contamination of streams with didymo, or “rock snot.” After looking into it online, there are quite a few states that have outlawed felt soles or are in the process. I will have to see how far along the process is in Missouri before I buy anything.


Price
Your final consideration will always be price. Do you blow the budget on a really nice set of waders and boots with the hope of not having to buy another set for a while? Or do you go cheap inexpensive knowing that you more likely to be buying another set in the near future. If you have the money to burn then get the Orvis Pro Guide waders at $350 and their River Guard boots for $180. What’s a few hundred dollars even if you only go fishing once a year? If you’re a more budget conscious shopper you can go for the store brand waders for around $70 and boots from $30. That’s about what I’ve seen them for at both Bass Pro and Cabela’s. If you’re on an extremely tight budget skip the waders. Just go with using an old pair of tennis shoes and hope the water isn’t too cold. Waders are nice to have but they aren’t a necessity. You can still fish without them.


When I get my new waders I’ll probably end up on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I’m hoping to end up around $150 for my waders and boots. I’m definitely going to get stocking foot waders and I’ll probably end up with felt soled boots. As long as you let the felt dry for 48 hours between streams the risk of transferring didymo is extremely light. And I usually go 48 days between fishing trips. I think the streams will be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment