Sunday, June 30, 2013

Putting It All On the Line (Care)

In getting ready for my first fly fishing trip in over a year I've been trying to refresh my mind on everything I used to know about fly fishing.  I've been thinking about casting.  Which knots should I use.  How should I approach the fish.  And then I thought about my fly fishing gear that's been sitting in it's case waiting patiently for me to bring them out.  You know, it might be a good idea to check out my gear to make sure it's still in good working order.

I grab the case, open it and pull out my rod and reel.  My rod looks OK, at least to my novice eyes.  The reel spins smoothly.  No issues there.  What about the line?  Didn't my brother say something one time about cleaning my line?  Have I ever cleaned my line?  Ummmm.... no.  Time to do some research.



There is more to maintaining your line than cleaning it off every once in a while.  Taking care of your line every time it is used and between uses will help your line to last longer as help with your fishing.  A dirty line will not last as long as a line that is cleaned regularly.  And a dirty line will also affect your fishing.  Dirt on you line will hinder your casting.  The dirt will create friction as your line passes through the guides.  The dirt can also weigh down a floating line so it won't float as well as it should.  So what should we do to make sure we keep our line clean and our fishing up to the level we're used to?

Everyday Maintenance
There are some simple things you can do while you're fishing and between your fishing trips.
  • Keep your hands clean while you are fishing.  Anything with chemicals in it can affect your line.  Wash your hand after putting on insect repellant or sunscreen.  While both of these have become vital parts in your stock of fly fishing equipment, the chemicals in both can break down your line.  The same goes for gasoline, so don't forget to wash your hand after putting gas in your car.  And on a more practical, immediate level, fish will smell these chemical on your line and avoid your fly.  Those chemicals don't appeal to them any more than you.
  • Stretch your line before you start fishing.  It will get rid of line memory from your line being wound for days or weeks.  It will naturally release the chemicals that keep your line slick to move quickly through the guides.
  • Keep your line out of the heat and sun.  This one should be easy.  Heat will break down your lines so don't leave it on the dash of your car while you grab a quick bite to eat.  Don't swap reels and leave one sitting in the grass while you rush to stalk the monster you saw in the shallows.
  • Remove the twists and kinks from your line when you're done for the day.  Pull your line out all the way to the backing.  Then pull your fly line through your fingers from back to front.  Use a piece of cloth to avoid burning your fingers.  It may take a couple of runs to get all of the kinks out.
Cleaning Your Line

Despite your best intentions and efforts you will have to clean your line to keep it in the best condition for catching fish.  Just from being in the water your line will accumulate dirt and algae.  It actually isn't difficult.  It is as simple as a bucket of water and soap.  Add some gentle soap to warm water and run your fly line through it.  Dry it off with a soft clean cloth.  After cleaning your line make sure you put on line slick or dressing.  It will keep your line fresh and lubricated.  And the cleaner and slicker your line the faster it will slide through the guides.

Or if you prefer there are fly line cleaning kits available.  You can find line cleaning pads with or without cleaning solution.  There are also kits that have the line dressing included as well.

As far as the type of dressing opinions vary.  Some recommend only using products developed solely for fly lines.  Others use some automotive products such as Rain-X windshield dressing.  Personally, with how inexpensive the products specifically for fly line dressing appear to be I'll stick with them.

I haven't cleaned my line yet.  I've got several weeks to go before my fishing trip.  As soon as I get it done I'll update this post with my results.

No comments:

Post a Comment