Friday, October 21, 2011

Cold Blooded Angler

It's the middle of October.  The weather is starting to turn cold.  We've had temperatures in the 40s and 50s the past few days.  The leaves are finally starting to red, yellow and orange.  It really is starting to feel like Autumn has arrived.  And I... don't... like it!  I am cold-blooded.  I need all the external body heat that I can get.  We had an EXTREME heat wave in Missouri this past summer.  We hit 100 degrees daily for several straight weeks.  And I loved every minute of it.

And now I have taken up a hobby that involves wading into cold water and standing very still.  This is fine when it's in the 90s and the sun is shining down keeping you warm.  Now the weather is getting colder and I'm starting to think about the prospect of going fishing without the  90 degree temp and sun shining down.  And the battle between the desire to fish and the desire to stay warm is already beginning.

There's always ice fishing, right?  I've seen pictures, TV shows, and movies where people are have hauled a little shack out onto a frozen lake, drilled a hole in the ice and dropped fishing line into the hole.  I've been told that you can take a little heater into the shack and it will warm up really quickly.  But the only image that brings to my mind is of the shack falling through melted ice.  Why sit on a block of ice watching for a twitch in your fishing line or listening for a bell to ding.  And what fishing skill is involved?  You're not casting to where you think the fish might be.  You're not picking your lure based upon the hatch.  You're not playing with your lure to make it look alive.  You're just hoping a big one comes along looking for a snack.  I just don't get it.

So here I am thinking about when I can go fishing again.  And I'm not thinking about the spring.  It's been a while since I've put on my waders and I'm starting to feel the itch.  I was able to go fishing a few weeks ago.  But at Westover Farms I've done all my fishing from the bank.  I don't get into the water at all.  And I'm starting to want to get into the water and "commune" with the fish.  But it will be cold!  So now I'm thinking about Long Johns, multiple pairs of woolen socks, turtlenecks, wool sweaters, ski masks, ski suits, multiple packs of HotHands and wondering if it will be enough to keep me warm.  And still I want to go fishing.  So I will.  And I will probably freeze.  But it will be worth it!

Here are couple of links to some good articles about staying warm in the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment