Friday, August 26, 2011

Thoughts on Fly Fishing

I was out of town most of this week. The only times I'm out of town without my wife I'm either on business or fishing. This week it was business. But I couldn't stop thinking about fly fishing. Where there any good streams nearby? What type of fly is the best for this area of the country? Would anyone really notice if I skipped dinner and went fishing?

Since I wasn't actually able to go fishing this week I've been thinking. What is it about fly fishing that has captured me? Why can I, someone who has trouble sitting on the beach and enjoying looking at the ocean, stand in a stream and wait for a fish to take my lure? How has fly fishing been able to immediately give me a batch of patience with inactivity that I didn't have before?


Here's my attempt at my "quote-worthy" thought on the subject and then a few more quotes that are truly "quote-worthy."

Fly fishing takes my impatience away from me.  I walk into the water with a rod and reel in my hand.  I cast and let my fly land and I wait patiently.  As my line and fly drift with the current I wait patiently.  When the fly gets to the end of the drift I wait patiently just a little longer.  Then I lift my line and cast again.  When a fish takes my fly I don't rush to bring him to my net.  I give him time to run.  I slowly reel him in.  I enjoy the struggle between me and my prize.  When the struggle is over I let him go and patiently cast out again.
Jason Cunningham


To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish.
Herbert Hoover  



Fly-fishers are usually brain-workers in society. Along the banks of purling streams, beneath the shadows of umbrageous trees, or in the secluded nooks of charming lakes, they have ever been found, drinking deep of the invigorating forces of nature - giving rest and tone to over-taxed brains and wearied nerves - while gracefully wielding the supple rod, the invisible leader, and the fairy-like fly.

James A. Hensall



They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore.

John Gierach


Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.  I am haunted by waters."  
Norman Maclean


If you have a favorite quote post it in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment